Monday, June 9, 2008

SP12 Questionnaire

The big Secret Pal 12 swap is just beginning and will run through the end of September. The official start is June 15, but I received my partner's info this morning (my hostess is on the ball!). I guess I'd better fill out the questionnaire! My info isn't much different from last fall, when I participated in SP11. Just a few little things have changed...

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Yummy, soft, natural fibers like alpaca, merino, cashmere, silk...

What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Anything synthetic, especially "novelty" yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have some vintage needle holders and store needles by their material (bamboo, faux tortoiseshell/casein, etc). I just organized my circulars -- they're now in separate sleeves by size in a big looseleaf binder. Everything else is jumbled into a Rubbermaid container. So... some organization, some not so much...

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I taught myself to knit as a child and then picked it up again as an adult when my son was a baby.

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Intermediate. I've made a few sweaters and lots of various bags, hats, etc. I've done entrelac, fair isle, but haven't done much lace (not particularly interested in anything that fine) or cableing/Aran.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
amazon - make sure you check the memos. The list is for me, my son, and my husband and we've memo'd in the name of the "wisher."
My Etsy favorites

My Swap-Bot profile (more info on me)

5. What's your favorite scent?
Green tea, lemon, lilac, lily of the valley

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes

Favorite candy? Dark chocolate (plain or with pretty much anything in it), maple

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Lots of paper crafts/art, sewing, jewelry/beads, carving rubber stamps.

Do you spin? I did a bit of spinning in college and right after. Haven't done any since then. I'd like to get back into it some day -- I should probably take a class (I never really got past spinning a single strand).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like pretty much anything. Yes, my computer can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)?
I like almost all colors. My favorites are dark red, bright red, most greens (chartreuse, lime, teal, bottle green), and lots of various blues. I love interesting combinations of colors.

Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm least fond of kelly green, muddy yellows, and pastels.

10. What is your family situation?
Um, I have an interesting family situation right now. There's the actual "family" -- my husband and 19-year-old son. Then we've got my son's friend and his girlfriend living with us as well. All the teens (including my son) say they're moving closer to school before the next semester begins. We'll see... It'll be pretty quiet around here if that all happens!

Do you have any pets?
A Golden Retriever named Winston and four kitties, Little Bit, Violet, Charli, and Henry.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes, all.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Probably bags.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm just finishing up an angel project (can't say more in case she reads this). I made a dish cloth for a friend last night. And I just ordered Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece to make my Mom a short sleeved sweater for her birthday next month.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love them!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I tend to work much more on circulars than straights.

Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo, wood, and I love the vintage faux tortoiseshell plastic needles (they warm slightly in your hand).

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? From when my son was a baby. Eeek! I knit very slowly then, and he grew faster than I knit!

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I like pretty much all holidays, but am not terribly excited about any of them. I like seasons more than I like holidays.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Lots of various vintage kitchen stuff from the Depression era (bakelite, china, Fiestaware, kitchen linens), cookbooks, vintage sewing stuff (like buttons, trim, etc).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I'm lusting after the KnitPicks Harmony circular needles and will put them on my birthday list. I like surprises a lot!

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None. I often buy Vogue Knitting, knit.1, and Interweave Knits.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Cables/Aran. I need to take a class, I think.

22. Are you a sock knitter?
No. I'm one of the few people on earth, I think. I knit one pair. It was ok. I didn't fall in love with it.

What are your foot measurements?
Size 9 shoes. I like a loose ankle. I'd love a handknit pair of socks!

23. When is your birthday?
September 11. Not a particularly happy day.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? Yes, winemakerssister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Secret pal says hello and get ready to be spoiled. The wish lists for Amazon and Etsy didn't work from the links, but the info on your swapbot profile was a great help.

Heather said...

Hi Secret Pal -

Nice to meet you! Sorry about the links. I just added a widget to the blog with my Amazon list.

To get to my Etsy list, click on my shop widget then go to "Favorites."

Thanks!
Heather