Friday, September 12, 2008

After Another Birthday

Like all other babies born on September 11, my birthday will never be the same.

Lately I've awoken on my birthday morning with a sense of melancholy and tears just waiting to flow. Yesterday was no exception.

What do you do when your birthday is a national day of mourning? You feel like you can't fully celebrate without also remembering that horrible day in 2001. All day long you hear sad stories on the radio.

Should I celebrate on a different day? Somehow it doesn't seem right to arbitrarily pick another birth date.

As I get older, I find myself less and less of a party girl. I'm just such a homebody. Yesterday I told Bob that I was thinking of taking my birthday off work from now on and booking myself into a spa. I seem to need to do something soothing. But the more that I think about it, the more I think I'd just like to stay home. Turn off the phones. Brew myself a pot of good tea. Put on my soft slippers. And knit. Yep, that would be my perfect day.

Remind me next year to do that on my birthday, ok?

5 comments:

HomeMadeOriginals said...

I have a friend whose birthday is also Sept 11. I think stayin home and knitting sounds like a pefect way to spend a day.

sunt_lacrimae_rerum said...

A belated happy birthday. Do you ever read www.salon.com ?

There's an article here:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/col/tenn/2008/09/12/birthday_column/index.html

Written by a man, an advice columnist, with a Sept. 11th birthday.

Heather said...

Thanks for the link to the salon.com article. Interesting.

Bean said...

Do you ever wonder if Pearl Harbor babies felt the same way? "A day that will live in infamy..." Time heals all wounds...

Don't let the terrorists take your fucking birthday away, man. ;)

Funky Finds said...

Oh girl I had no idea it was your birthday! I can see how you would feel as if you shouldn't celebrate, but in all tragedies we must look for the little spots of happiness. And your birth & life are one of those! I say celebrate year-round!