Wednesday, July 16, 2008

SP12: Question of the Week #6

What is your favorite type of project to take along on holiday/vacation?

I love to knit while on vacation, but figuring out what to bring is a real art. You want a project that's interesting, can be picked up and put down often, and lasts the right amount of time for the trip.

In terms of how much to bring, I've done it all -- brought way too much and way too little.

In the fall of 2006 Bob, Tommy, Winston, and I drove the length of Route 66 as our vacation. We drove to downtown Chicago and officially started at its beginning -- right across the street from the Art Institute. I brought lots and lots of knitting supplies with me. Gosh, two weeks on the road, I figured I'd knit and knit and knit.

But navigating along the old road required that I constantly study several Route 66 guides. It twists and turns constantly. I couldn't knit. So I carried all that yarn the length of Route 66 and back home again.

We try to visit my family's cabin in northern Ontario every summer. We all love it up there -- the air smells wonderful, we pick wild blueberries, canoe, bake bread, and relax. The perfect place to knit. But the first few times I brought knitting with me, I didn't bring enough. And there aren't a lot of yarn shops anywhere nearby. I need to bring more with me this year!

No comments: