Sunday, August 5, 2007

Swap packages


I really enjoy making up packages of goodies to swap with others. I like to look at someone's profile or blog or collection of Flickr photos, get to know them, and come up with a package of goodies they'd like.

Of course, it's never quite so simple as that. I'm owed a lot of packages at this point. And sometimes it's tough finding things someone will like from what's available locally. So I often end up ordering it off the Internet. And that can be expensive -- you're then paying two sets of postage charges....

I've been trying to cut down on the swap I'm doing lately. To me, it doesn't make sense to participate in those "you send a package of little stuff and get another package of similar stuff in the mail." You end up with a bunch of little do-dads that aren't particularly useful in real life. I tend to concentrate on swaps that have a strong element of handmade in them. That way you get something unique -- something made by another's hands.

(Above, Coloriffic swap sent out Friday. Theme was neutral plus one of my favorite colors and one of my partner's favorite colors. The handmade items are not in the photo because they're so specific to my partner, she would know it was for her immediately...)

No comments: